Machinery of Government 2018
Start date: 08/01/2018
Status: Comments published
What is the review about?
A review of the Draft Machinery of Government (Miscellaneous Amendments) (Jersey) Law.
The principles of the draft law were approved by the States on 21st February 2018 and the detailed Articles were referred for legislative scrutiny.
The draft law can be accessed by following the link below.
The draft law proposes:
- the establishement of the Chief Executive of the States as "Principle Accountable Officer"
- The ability for the Chief Minister to undertake ministerial reshuffles
- a single legal entity for goverment to be called the "Jersey Ministers"
- the removel of collective responsibility for ministers
The Machinery of Government Review Panel (reporting through the Chairmen's Committee) published an initial comments paper on 19th February 2018 (link below). The Panel is now undertaking detailed legislative scrutiny of the draft law and will report on its work in due course.
Terms of reference
- To conduct detailed legislative scrutiny of the Draft Machinery of Government (Miscellaneous Amendments) (Jersey) Law;
- To examine the impact of the proposed machinery of government changes on the functioning of Ministerial Government;
- To identify fully the changes to the hierarchy of responsibility within the States of Jersey through the establishment of the Chief Executive Officer as the Principal Accountable Officer;
- To identify and examine the implications of the creation of a single legal entity for the States of Jersey, encompassing all ministerial portfolios;
- To examine any other changes or implications arising from the Draft Law.